"Shall I describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box?"
Halfway through the month. How about some answers to the movie trivia so far?
31 - Ladyhawke
"I know that I promised Lord, never again. But I also know that you know what a weak willed person I am."
"I talk to God all the time, and no offense, but he never mentioned you."
"Walk on the LEFT side."
1985 classic - Matthew Broderick is the comic relief to this great romance. I still love the part where Navarre (Rutger Hauer) picks up Isabeau (Michelle Pfeiffer) and swings her around. Some of the funniest lines EVER. A must see.

30 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
"Follow me! I know the way!"
"Got lost in his own museum, you say?"
In my opinion the best Indiana Jones. David and I watched it over and over again (when we weren't watching Return of the Jedi).
29 - Runaway Bride
"There's a man behind me with candy in his pockets. If you tickle him he will give you some."
"'Fine?' You're reading that newspaper upside down. I'd say it's better than just 'fine.'"
28 - Swan Princess
"Whenever I have to do something quick, I always bring a turtle."
"I knew it! I'm gonna die! I'm on a dangerous mission with a lame turtle!"
"My friends call me speed."
A animated movie from 1994. John Cleese is the voice of Jean Bob the frog who thinks he is a prince. " I have no friends, only servants, and you may call me 'Your Highness.'"
27 - Mulan
"Rise and shine, Sleeping Beauty! Come on. Hup, hup, hup! Get your clothes on! Get Ready! Got breakfast for ya. Look, you get porridge - and it's happy to see you!"
"My baby's all grown up and saving China."
"That was close." "No, that was foul. I ain't biting no more butts for you."
26 - Willow
"Went away? I dwell in darkness without you, and it went away?"
"She's the future empress of Tieres Le. The last thing she's gonna want is a hairy chest!"
"Not a woman!?!" "Gentlemen, meet Lug."
I had a harder time trying to decide which line to use from Willow. This is the movie that I refused to see until Werty and I were dating in 2002, even though my parents bought a ticket for me to see it with the rest of the family in theaters in 1988. The theater was new and smelled strongly of carpet glue - and I didn't know I was coming down with a stomach flu. Threw up 5 minutes into the movie. Wasn't interested in seeing the movie that made me throw up until Werty told me it was one of his favorites. Been enjoying it ever since.
25 - While You Were Sleeping
"If you fit in my pants, I'll kill myself."
"Joe Junior - he's still single." "Yeah, shocker."
"Hugging is very different, that involves hands and arms. Leaning is whole body moving forward. Leaning is wanting and accepting...leaning." "Hey, Luce, this guy bothering you? 'Cause it looks like he's leaning."
I think I could sit here all day and type lines from this movie - the best romantic comedy ever. But I knew that one line would be enough for Valinda - the only person I know who knows the movie better than I do. Do you know what time is on the microwave when Lucy smacks into Jack with the kitchen door? I bet she does.
24 - Neverending Story
"It has to hurt if it's to heal."
"Have confidence Atreyu!"
"Bastian! Why don't you do what you dream Bastian!"
1984 classic from my childhood. The movie that caused every child to want his own luck dragon. Does anyone know what his mother's name was? It isn't really intelligible and I've always wondered. It was hard to find a line that didn't have a proper name in it that would give it away.
23 - Ferngully
"Delicious and nutritious, tastes just like chicken."
"Oops. gravity works."
"Price check on prune juice, Bob, price check on prune juice."
1992 - We were the original "save the environment" and the "children are our future" generation. Anytime an animated film has Robin Williams, it's going to be good.
22 - Hey! Cinderella (Muppets)
"Why not bring a present for the king? Bring a present for the king if you know what's good for you."
"Radish?"
"Splurge! I didn't recognize you with your mask on!"
"Rufus? Do you remember where you buried the shoe?"
We love anything by Jim Henson at our house. Jim Henson's first attempts at taking his puppets onto the big screen, predating the The Muppet Movie, were two shorter films: Hey! Cinderella and The Frog Prince. The prince in Hey! Cinderella is more attractive than the one in The Frog Prince.
21 - Murder by Death
"Nuts, nuts! There are no nuts in this candy bar!" "Oui, the man in the store had no nuts." "The man in the store had no nuts?" "That's why I got the raisins."
"He is definitely blind. Those were my funniest faces."
A 1976 screwball comedy along the same vein as Clue, but predating Clue and less politically correct. A star studded cast - Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers, Peter Falk, Maggie Smith.
20 - Nacho Libre
"Beneath the clothes, we find a man, and beneath the man we find his...nucleus."
"My life is good, real good. I sleep in a bed every night by myself. I get to spend time with you orphans..."
Just trying to mix it up a little with something more recent.
19 - Say Anything
"If you guys know so much about women, how come you're at the gas 'n sip at 10 o'clock on a Saturday night completely alone with no women anywhere?"
"By choice, man, choice!"
An 80's classic with the best one-liners about relationships. Filmed in Tacoma and Seattle, another reason to love it. Watch for Tacoma landmarks like the Java Jive in "Seattle."
18 - Persuasion
"You have an extraordinary ability to discompose my friend, sir."
"And you have an extraordinary ability to influence her, ma'am, for which I find it very hard to forgive you."
One of my all time favorite movies. A Jane Austin adaptation, even better than Pride & Prejudice. Beautiful cinematography. Capt. Wentworth is equal to Mr. Darcy in my book.
17 - Howl's Moving Castle
"I don't cook! I'm a scary and powerful fire demon!"
"I see no point in living if I can't be beautiful."
If you have never watched a Miyasaki film, then you are missing out. It takes a while to figure out what is going on in his films, but in the end it is totally worth it. I'm not a fan of Princess Mononoke, however. Ponyo is the newest Miyasaki - being released this week.
3 comments:
LOL I wonder what Legolas would have done had Gimli requested a box. Who won the body count in the end, do we ever find out? LOTR Two Towers.
I should have known it was Ladyhawke!
It's 12:02 and I've always wondered if they just turned on the power 2 minutes before the scene started. My youngest was born September 17th, the day Lucy started seeing Peter. Her nickname is the same name as Mary's friend who overhears that Lucy is "pregnant".
I think I'm winning. Do you think I'm winning? I think I'd like a batch of those low fat choco chip cookies when I win.
p.s. The internet seems to agree that he shouts out Moonchild as the name for the Childlike Empress.
The internet says the Say Anything quote is "If you guys know so much about women, how come you're here at like the Gas 'n' Sip on a Saturday night completely alone drinking beers with no women"
I can understand you not remembering the beer part but it is part of the quote...
P.S. V - I re-read the "rules" and she never really says how someone will win. It doesn't say the person who gets the most right....
Post a Comment