Tuesday, June 2, 2009

#100 - Truman's Funeral

Today we attended Truman Madsen's funeral at the Tabernacle. He is my Grandmother's first cousin. He was starting to have family history get togethers for my generation a few years ago, but then his health deteriorated. Last time Werty and I saw him was outside the Nauvoo temple, after we had just finished spending most of the day in the temple, taking a name all the way through from baptism to endowment. Truman was there filming the last section of the Church History DVD series he created a few years ago. I was nervous to go up and talk to him, but we did, and he warmly remarked what a wonderful place to run into a family relation - in front of the temple.

I realized today that I have had some wonderful experiences in learning about my family history. I have been taught about Heber J. Grant and his father Jedidiah from Truman Madsen himself. When I attended the funeral of my great-uncle, I heard the conversion story of my Scottish Condie ancestors as told by Pres. Monson. I am grateful that my wonderful husband was raised to appreciate the importance of family history and is willing to attend such events with me.

One of the most interesting stories we heard today was from one of his sons. The day that Truman gave the talk about Joseph Smith at Education Week - the talk that is still sold on CD today - the one that Zinx asked for when he was on his mission - and I think I listened to on MY mission - he had been with his family building their cabin all day. They were trying to get the exterior walls built that summer before the snow came. His son drove him to the Marriot Center, his father changed from his overalls to a suit while they were traveling, and he remembered that his father took no notes with him, he knew the prophet and his life that well.

I really loved the remarks given by Elder Scott. He addressed Ann, Truman's widow. He spoke of how our family members who have passed on are still aware of us and watch over us. He spoke from experience of losing his eternal companion, and his remarks were in line with what I spoke about on Sunday and what I have been thinking about this last week. It was an uplifting experience.

No comments: