Hey, this is my 99th post! What should I do for post #100?
My talk in sacrament meeting was based on Elder Holland's conference talk, "The Ministry of Angels." In the past, I have run into trouble with preparing talks that were too long, so this time I purposely prepared a 10-12 minute talk, as assigned. When I saw the program, I found out that I was the last speaker, making me responsible for shortening or - gasp - lengthening my talk to fit the time. Hmmm. Then I noticed that one of the three talks, the youth speaker, was listed as "Testimonial" not an actual speaker. Translation = he will only take one minute, and I will need to stretch my talk to fill more time. When the Bishop's last words to me were "talk slow," my fears were confirmed. Long story short: Even after the intermediate hymn, there were still 30 minutes left when I got up to give my talk. I spoke for 20 minutes, and I am pleased with how it went. I got through the last story with only minimal blubbering - every time I worked on this talk I started tearing up because I knew that I was going to share this particular story about my grandma. And with the pregnancy hormones, once you start crying, you can't stop... But it was a lovely topic. Miracles still happen today, by faith, and God doesn't leave us comfortless. I even read part of hymn 293 and mentioned how God puts people in our lives at certain times to help us, like a certain best friend that I have known since 9th grade. And I hope HER talk in HER sacrament meeting went just as well. (I love you Ddonn!)
6 years ago
1 comment:
Now you're making ME cry! I was speaker #2 and youth speaker actually filled 5 minutes, we had a LONG intermediate hymn and several items of ward business so both ElCid and I only had to fill 10ish minutes. I'm happy to hear you did so well! Hey are we gonna go get some of that french toast when I come into to town? Mmmmm
Post a Comment