I forgot to mention that I took the first glucose test last Tuesday...and failed it. (The junk wasn't as bad as I was afraid of, like McDonald's drink that wasn't diluted enough, but it did make me feel a little queasy.) So Monday morning I get to go in fasting and take the second test. With my family history, it's no surprise. Of course, I am hoping that my pancreas is working sufficiently that I don't have gestational diabetes because I really don't want to prick my finger several times a day and have to give up my morning cereal.
Sue was telling me that she sometimes had to add more fat to her diet with her gestational diabetes to ensure that she got enough calories (we were raised eating very lean foods for my Dad's heart, so we don't cook with a lot of fat normally.) After she left, I started worrying about my gall stones. The ultrasound lady told me my stones were small, so I should watch my fat intake and then I won't have to deal with them until after the baby comes. The gall stones are caused by the pregnancy hormones, but unlike the diabetes, they don't disappear after the baby is born. So, no carbs and no fat - what is there left? We already eat a lot of salad with chicken - and I am to the point that I can't stand chicken anymore. So, um, beef and veggies three times a day? Last night we went to Sizzlers with Gediminas after graduation to celebrate the end of the school year...and get steak for me and the baby. Too bad we can't afford steak every night.
6 years ago
3 comments:
Yikes! I have to say I am very grateful all of my issues disappeared once my cutie baby arrived. Hopefully you can find a nice balance to survive until August!
Not having any carbs til your test may not be the best way to go... Do you normally eat many carbs? Cuz one of the main issues I have read about is that women who don't normally eat many carbs especially simple carbs do not do well on the test and it isn't because they have gd but because their body is shocked, like if we gave you a few ozs of alcohol that your system "should" be able to handle I'm pretty sure it wouldn't. Here is a site about it - http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gttDiet.html
No worries - I'm eating normally. I'm not giving up carbs until they make me! We normally eat salads, that's all, and Werty is on a salad kick lately. Sometimes it's a mexican salad, with meat and corn and beans topped with lettuce (think cafe rio like), sometimes a chicken caesar. After dinner tonight, I had ice cream. In fact, we are hoping maybe I did so horribly on the first test was because I had to come directly from work to make the appointment and I was dehydrated.
Post a Comment