Thursday, May 21, 2009

Telling my students

"There is one more question I want you to add to your test. Is your teacher going to have a boy or a girl?" "What? You're pregnant?" "We knew it," said two girls as they gave each other high fives. The boys were clueless, of course. A few girls had noticed that I had started wearing maternity clothes the last two weeks and had been wondering. My 8th period class was upset that I didn't tell them sooner. Unanimously, students were shocked when I told them I was already 6 months along. And the informal poll? The majority got it right by a landslide. One of the kids thought that I had printed the test on blue paper as a hint - but my TA actually picked the color and printed the test for me this time. One of the boys actually came up later and asked me if I had pregnancy cravings - a sweet, polite kid. "Oranges, when I first got pregnant, and fruit. I crave fruit a lot." The class that was telling me I should adopt and the boy who thought I should "get started" with having kids - the boy was indignant, "But I asked you if you had kids." "And I said 'Not yet.'" "Oh." A girl who is also in my ward, "Is that why you're cranky today?" (one of the reasons I didn't tell them earlier...) "Am I cranky? I've been pregnant the whole semester." "Oh...nevermind then." The most astute kids were the few who got suspicious when they noticed that I started sitting down on empty desktops occasionally when I lecture instead of standing the whole time.

2 comments:

Le said...

You are so not at Foss, I can imagine the questions and comments you woulda got there....

Natasha said...

Wow congratulations!! I'm so excited for you guys! That is the best news! I hope that your pregnancy goes well and that your little boy arrives safetly. There's nothing in the world that compares to having a son ... it's amazing!! Good luck!