Thursday, March 10, 2011

#23-#22

#23 We were the last people to leave the hardware store Tuesday night. We needed to wait until one hour before they closed because we needed to borrow a van, and that was when the van was available. We left the store at 9:30, a half hour after the closed. The paint mixer lady said, eh don't worry, we have to be here an hour after close anyway. Some of her coworkers might not have felt so cheery about it...Thankfully, Grandma, Grandpa and his youngest aunt agreed to watch BooBear while we went. Several hundred dollars later...we have lots of random stuff for repairs and improvements. We also have our first can of paint.

#22 Last night I said, 'So, now you have everything you need to hook up the appliances, right?' 'Actually, I still need the right couplings...' Argh. So, Werty headed off to the hardware store. (Did they groan when they saw you come back to the store?) He got some plumbing putty to finish fixing the drain in the tub. 'So, now you have everything you need to hook up the appliances, right?' 'No, but now I know what I need to get.' Argh. I will say that Werty is making repairs everyday. There was all this stuff we wanted to do before we moved in, but then we were all too sick to do any of it. And the plumbing problems were a surprise. I am really hoping that we have a washer and dryer by the weekend.

While Werty slaves away on fixing things (like new doorknobs on the bedrooms so the doors will actually close), I have been scrubbing and cleaning. Yesterday it was the kitchen cabinets. The stove has no hood, so the cabinets above the stove were pretty nasty. We may be adding installing a hood on our list of improvements to be made. Last night I actually put stuff away in cabinets and emptied 2.5 boxes. That might not sound like a lot, but if I tell you that I have been cleaning and scrubbing every day to get to the point of finally emptying boxes, that gives you an idea of how dirty everything was. The house had been empty for while, and the last tenants didn't do any serious cleaning on their way out. I also picked out paint for the living room.

4 comments:

Werty said...

Think I have what I need to get the dishwasher done today. Will be fun :D

Valinda said...

Aww the delights of home ownership. I remember all of the nasty things we pulled out of here. It's been 6 years and we still have items left on our to do list!

Julie C said...

Wow, we were really really fortunate. The old owners had lived here for 25 years, kept things up pretty well, and were proud enough of their home that they even vacuumed it after they moved their stuff out. I'm not trying to brag - I'm just saying that this is making me realize how good we had it. I'm excited for you to get your home in shape though - you guys will definitely have something to be proud of!

Marian S. said...

Well, sweetie, when we first moved to Tacoma to the rental house on Yakima, it was so filthy that there were 7 bags of garbage filled but not taken out, and so much strewn about that we had to nudge stuff aside with a foot to ascertain whether there was a carpet. (There was.) But it was right around the corner from the office Dad was assigned to at the time, and that made a big difference when there was only one car. But the only time I ever saw it both clean and empty was when we moved out. I didn't miss it a bit.