Thursday, September 30, 2010

Nail Biting

For us to qualify to buy this house, we have to get the contract today. Our wonderful real estate agent has been making calls advocating for us. This afternoon we have already signed another addendum and emailed it back. At times like these it comes in handy having a scanner available. Now we are biting our nails and waiting. Our agent thinks that we will get the contract today. We really hope so. The loan officer is leaving the office soon to take care of a closing, but we have told him to expect our contract today. We thought we had until tomorrow, but the loan officer told us this morning that we need it in by today. Werty has had this fear the whole time that it will come down to the wire, we will have everything in place, and then our loan officer will be home sick or on vacation that day. See, a new law is going in to effect on Monday, so we need to get this loan started before that law or we can't buy this house. It seems that purchasing a home is always complicated in one way or another.

Some quotes for your enjoyment:
"I'll be honest, if someone in a van offered me candy, I'd get in." - IB student
"On your blog can I have the nickname 'The hot student'?" - same IB student
No, I did NOT give them the address to this blog. No, that will not be any student's nickname because that sounds so inappropriate coming from a teacher and I want to keep my job, thanks.

Yesterday we started the WWI debate. One girl, very quiet, hadn't said much yet, just busts out with "Well, I just hate Serbia. I think you're evil." It was just enough to flame further discussion. As the teacher, I know it was a cop out for someone not as well prepared. But, knowing how quiet this student is in my class, it was nice to see some personality from her. I think this is one of the best debates we have had so far. I think the key was I cut out GB and F, and just left the other four nations to blame each other. Most of the kids this year also enjoy debating. I still remember being team Russia with JiHo pointing fingers at A-H. JiHo didn't usually get that animated, but he did that day. It's one of my favorite IB lessons all year.

3 comments:

Valinda said...

Give the kid the nickname TSPHS "The self proclaimed hot student" ;)I hope it all works out for you! What is the new law?

Valinda said...

Yes, it WAS all A-H fault, I totally remember that part. I think it was nearly all of our favorites. That and the CAP trial, until Jade threw me under the bus...

Le said...

Your blog makes me think! And it is difficult because we didn't do the debate thing when I was in IB. I am 99% confident about that statement - I am a slacker and don't pay attention but I think I would remember debating since it is something I enjoy. In fact I don't remember learning anything about WWII ever in school...