Saturday, November 22, 2008

Movie Trivia and Twilight Critique

How many characters played by Will Smith can you name? There was an activity at a training meeting where we had to identify movie lines. One of my favorite games. Besides naming the movie and the actor, we also had to know the character's name.

"I didn't hear no fat lady."
"Fat lady. You're obsessed with the fat lady."
And I realized that Will Smith is such a big name entertainer that I don't remember the name of the actual characters he plays. How many can you name?

Here's the quote that most of the people at the meeting didn't get, but I did. Can you name the movie? (I guess most of the other first year teachers were too young to know.)
"Interesting game - the only logical move is not to play."

Speaking of movies, Werty went with me to see Twilight this afternoon. After the first half, I wondered why my sister Sue would be willing to see it a second time. After the second half, I wanted to see it again too. I liked what they chose to leave in, etc. My only beef was the cinematography and dialogue - not sure if the blame goes to the script or the editing because the lines they had were good. A little less long takes, a little more dialogue please. It's a difficult thing to transpose a book that takes place in someone's thoughts into a movie. I'm not a purist who demands they stick to the book. But usually, movies add dialogue to compensate. Twilight chose voice overs and long takes instead. It made the falling in love sequences a little awkward. There were times when people in the theater laughed when they weren't supposed to laugh. Bad sign. Other times, the laughing was at the right times - a good sign. The action of the second half of the movie, once their feelings for one another was established, really saved the film. Recently, movie makers seem to think they have to hit their audience over the head with something or else we won't get it. It felt that way with all the long shots. Subtlety is part of good acting. It's what draws you in. The cinematography got in the way of the acting - but there were perfect moments between the two, so I don't blame the acting. I'm glad I went and saw it. I agree with Ddonn, they did a good job capturing the green of the Pacific Northwest, and it does make someone like me feel homesick.

3 comments:

Valinda said...

Captain Steve Hillard. Then again you were never quite as obsessed with that movie as I was. Yeah there was a good ten minutes added all together that about had me at the barfing point. I want to see it again before I make my final decision whether I like it or not, too bad your so far away!

Julie C said...

"Interesting game - the only logical move is not to play." ... makes me want to pick it up off my movie shelf and watch it again. Sadly, I can't name any Will Smith characters without cheating except J. He was J, not K, right? Right. And that's only because it was on TV this weekend.

As far as Twilight ... I think there were three males in the entire theater, and more hormones than I want to be around again for a long time. The audience literally screamed the first time Edward appeared and every time Jacob appeared.

There were some things I liked in the movie: Carlisle, Alice, Charlie, and Washington. But a teenage love story really shouldn't make you motion sick by making the camera zoom around in circles all the time. I almost forgot - I liked the bad guy too. I was very distracted by the fact that Bella doesn't seem to have a normal resting position for her mouth - it was always open. And her clothes were way too thin for someone who hates the cold and lives in this state. I'm stopping there - trying to hold back the tide of comments and paying attention to keeping spoilers out of my comments.

That said, it was fun. I will probably watch it one more time when it comes out on DVD.

Zanne said...

Julie - Werty agrees with you. His comment after the movie - How many spinning crane shots does one movie really need?