Sunday, October 12, 2008

My Friend Denise

This morning my dear friend Denise passed away in her sleep. I have been dreading and expecting the phone call for the last year. I have thought of her and the letter I wanted to write her every couple of weeks for the last year. Now it's too late to send it.

Denise was so sweet and kind to me as I grew up. She was my primary teacher, young women's teacher, and my friend. As a child, I looked forward to the "birthday parties" she held at her house every year - one party a year to celebrate every child in primary's birthday. We watched movies, ate candy and did crafts. At one such party, Denise introduced me to "Goonies." Denise was the first person to teach my sisters and I about cross stitching. She encouraged creativity in me. I grew up in a well educated, literary and musical family. However, other kinds of creativity that I wanted to try were not available. Denise filled that hole. I used to sit by her in church and we would write rebus puzzles to each other, spelling out titles from the hymn book and other sentences like "I love you." It was a sacrifice when my oldest sister asked all of us siblings to start sitting with the family again to support my father. It meant giving up some of my time with Denise. In high school, Denise and I were the alto section of the ward choir together. I got used to listening to her to find my note during difficult parts. Ward choir wasn't as much fun without her. When I got home from my mission, I spent a whole day with her. I learned more about her that day than I had ever known before. When Werty and I got married, Denise was one of the wonderful church ladies who helped out with the reception - spending the whole night in the kitchen making sure there was food for all the guests. Last time I saw Denise was when Wertyand I went home a few years ago to visit. She had had a stroke by then. I am glad that Werty got to meet her and get to know her a little. I know that she is at peace now, freed from the cares and health problems of this world. And I know that I will see my friend again someday.

No comments: