Friday, October 24, 2008

Hall Pass

We have this broken desk in my classroom - the seat was loose, and a student picked at it until it came completely off. The holes in the seat were completely stripped, so it couldn't be repaired. So, it sat in the corner by itself. Then yesterday, one of my student sat on it after school and the front metal legs made a snapping sound. 2o minutes later, forgetting he had already broke it, he sat on it again, and the legs finished breaking. Pieces of desk was all that was left. And these desks are our protection in case of an earthquake? My classroom is in one of the outer buildings of the school, a building that would pancake...and all we have are these desks!?! I no longer look at them as I once did. They are not that sturdy. Anyway, the boys help me toss the pieces in the dumpster. Obnoxious student decides to take home the heavy desktop instead of putting it in the trash. I tried to get him to trash it. Visions of an abandoned desktop being left on the sidewalk somewhere haunted me. But no, he carried it all the way home and brought it back the next day with the words "hall pass" and his name spray painted on it in a very haphazard way. Carrying it in to the school this morning, he was stopped by security because they thought he had stolen and vandalized from a classroom. So, now I have a hall pass of sorts. Only problem is, students are begging to use the bathroom just so they can carry the heavy thing around. Go figure.

1 comment:

Valinda said...

LOL I know several of our high school friends who are boys who would have LOVED that idea...Fred, Milton, Matt, Dennis, Mike, well you know them.