Sunday, August 10, 2008

Transitions

Yesterday was the funeral for my student. His family are members of our church and I could tell that they had a lot of faith. The most heart-wrenching part of the services was watching the younger brother sob over the loss of his brother. Kevin had so much potential. It's comforting to know that he still exists and will someday see his family again on the other side of the veil.

Today our Bishop was released. I guess he has been the Bishop for over 5 years - which is longer than usual for a BYU student ward. We have been in the ward for only a year, but our Bishop really made us feel at home. He is very warm and insightful. Since Werty and I are moving this month, we were already preparing ourselves for goodbyes - this one just came two weeks earlier than planned.

Last week I attended new teacher orientation. Long days of sitting in district meetings. The food was pretty good though. This week my contract time begins, so I will be sitting in staff meetings all week instead. Tomorrow I meet with my mentor teacher. I am lucky, in that I already know my mentor teacher, and he is excited to have me in his department. I am going to take the rough draft of my IB curriculum outline to him for review.

I have to give props to my brother Glump. He works at a grocery store and has been kind enough to collect boxes for us for our move. We picked up a load of boxes from him on Thursday night. Since it was his night off, we hung out and went to see Prince Caspian, since Werty and I hadn't gotten around to seeing that yet. It was great fun. The movies I have seen this summer: Prince Caspian, Iron Man, Dark Knight, Emma Smith: My Story, WallE, Made of Honor. WallE was my favorite, hands down.

Enjoy the Olympics!

No comments: