Thursday, November 11, 2010

Same Old, Same Old

We are still waiting on the house we want to buy. Our agent told us that the lack of information is one of the hardest parts of a short sale. Not knowing when, not knowing what the bank is working on, not knowing what will happen. We went and looked at another house last night, one in a nice neighborhood in Provo. Bigger than the Orem one, but needs more work. Bigger lot, but less usable space. There were at least 6 other groups that came and looked at the property while we were there. It was like an unplanned open house. All these people milling around, not making eye contact with each other. Interesting. We put in an offer, but we still want the other house more.

At work, first term ended at the end of October, so last week I was busy grading and updating grades. I am embarrassed to admit that there were some essays I had collected a month previous for my IB class that I hadn't graded. So, I did that. One student wrote like a stream of consciousness, without paragraphs or adequate punctuation or organization. I wrote on his paper that if he wants me to seriously grade something, he must conform to using paragraphs and organization. On Friday, we have an IB teacher meeting, and I will ask his other teachers if they have received anything similar. If he continues in this manner, I will refuse to give him a grade. I think it would be a disservice to him to allow him to pass my assignments, and therefore, my class, with work that clearly won't allow him to pass his IB exams and receive college credit.

2 comments:

Valinda said...

I'll keep thinking of you every time I drive under a street light and it goes out and say a prayer that you will get a house! You know if you put up pictures of your precious darling baby that wouldn't be same old, same old. Because he isn't old and he changes just a little bit everyday. :)Good luck with stream of consciousness kid.

Le said...

you are so boring! Don't you know that punctuation and organization went out of style with snail mail and corded phones????