Sunday, November 21, 2010

Which House?

We looked at and made an offer on a second house on Saturday. Which would you choose if you were at our stage of life?

Small house with a big yard.
Big house with a small yard.

I will try to post a more in-depth comparison later.

5 comments:

Julie C said...

Like every decision in life, it depends. Does the yard have a lot of upkeep? (Think of all the areas that would need weeding, the trees/bushes that would need pruning, the grass that would need watering and mowing and fertilizing.) Is the small yard still big enough for a kid to play in? Would you need to buy all the yard-care tools? Sometimes you'll have to let things slide, so will it bother you more to have a messy yard or to have a messy house? Do you want to put in yard toys? Would your family possibly grow while in your house? Would the larger yard include some great features like a large shed to store things in? Do they both have the same size garage?

Valinda said...

Julie has lots of great points. My gut reaction was small house (as long as it will hold all of you, maybe even another kid) big yard. Tossing kids out to play is one of my most favorite things to do.

Julie C said...

oooh - i forgot to ask - do they both have fenced in yards? honestly house clutter bugs me more than yard clutter, so I also prefer a smaller house as long as it really has plenty of room for the next five years. but I find it easier to clean the houes than to do the yardwork (especially with all the rain in seattle) so sometimes I wish I didn't have as much to do in the yard.

Julie C said...

arg I hate it when I typo and I don't want to retype the entire comment. sorry!

Maria Draper said...

Winter- big house small yard
Summer/Hawaii- small house big yard

Good luck! The more kids I have and the older they get the more I want a yard or a park that is close for them to play in.