Monday, August 16, 2010

Benefits of working?

Well, so what if the district continues to freeze everyone's pay so that I am still being paid as a first year teacher...my 7th year working for them. I don't really miss that they no longer give us a Thanksgiving turkey, they only did that once, after all. And I don't mind that they have been increasing my workload each year. Because at least my family has health benefits...

Then I open the email today that lists all the changes to said benefits. Annoyed that they are canceling our dental option (I pay 100% of it, district pays none), I read on...premiums are only going up slightly, that's good, oh wait! All the deductibles are skyrocketing by at least 50%! I remember back in 2008 when the benefits coordinator at the district (same one that was unable to confirm I was covered or get the company to issue me medical cards for over 6 months that year) explained that having a baby would cost the family maximum deductible of $2k. Well, then I had a baby and discovered that it was actually $4k. And I chalked it up to the lady giving the figures for the year before or something. But wait! This year it has gone up to $6k. So, if we have a baby on my health benefits, we will pay more in premiums and deductible than it cost for my last baby. No, really. Thanks SelectHealth for increasing your deductible by 50% every year!!!

Which brings me back to the problem that I have more responsibilities at work, have higher living expenses due to inflation and rising food prices, higher deductibles, and get paid the same. In reality, I am getting paid less each year that I teach.

1 comment:

Greg Hendricks said...

Is it any wonder that our society is going to the dogs?