The official salsa season has begun! (The eating kind, not the dancing kind) We had enough tomatoes from our garden for a half recipe, so 3 quarts of salsa is now processed and sealed. This is just the first wave of tomatoes. We had a late season this year because of the unusually cold Spring. That means that Werty will have to do most of the salsa canning this year since I will be at work. I did manage 13 pints of apricot and apricot-cherry jam earlier this summer as well.
Here's our salsa recipe:
(a variation on the USU extension service recipe, scaled down to fit in my 8 quart pot)
4 1/2 quarts blanched, peeled and chopped tomatoes
3 1/2 cups chopped white onion
3 1/4 cups seeded, finely chopped jalapeno peppers
4 -5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
3/4 tablespoons black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
Combine everything except for the cumin, bring to a boil and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. Add the cumin and simmer for another 20 minutes. Leave a 1/2 inch headspace and process jars for 20 minutes.
6 years ago
1 comment:
Sounds yummy - I love salsa! Since it has tomatos I'm a little surprised at the low processing time. Unless that's a pressure cooker/canner time. :)
Post a Comment