Saturday, September 28, 2013

Cold 5k

I ran another 5k this morning. And by running, I mean, I jogged. My sweet Werty surprised me by being at the finish line with the kids cheering me on. Bear ran the last bit together with me. Werty almost didn't recognize me - I was so cold that I put the shirt they provided on over the brightly colored shirt he had seen my leave in this morning. He also noticed that I had improved my form since the 5k I did in May - I looked like a real jogger. (Whereas last time I looked like I was going to keel over at the end.) And it's true, I had more control this time. But it was cold. Really cold waiting for 45 mins for the kids mile to be done. Then the first part of the race was a slight incline, in the shade and the wind, next to a smoggy major street - State Street for those familiar - and it was more unpleasant to breathe than I expected. The second half of the race was in the sunlight, and was much nicer, as we ran back and forth through the neighborhood streets. With the weather turning cold, I have no intention of purchasing a bunch of gear so that I can run any of the winter 5ks. So this was it for a while. I am proud of the improvements I have made this year. I will continue to run at the rec center, where it's nicely climate controlled.

2 comments:

Klari said...

This is so awesome! I am so happy you get to do this, and I'm excited for when I can do the same again!

Valinda said...

Go you! When they have a marathon here they close the whole Strip down, I wouldn't want to run along a busy street, yuck.