Monday, April 27, 2009

GLump and Vegas

My brother went and eloped. When I was single, we used to joke about running off to Vegas - but mainly that was because we were visiting Ddonn. I found out on Friday that my brother was engaged to the girl he has been dating...for almost a month. So Saturday my sister and I learned that they were planning to get married Wednesday - as in the day after tomorrow. He was a real pill, but finally agreed to let us meet her on Saturday evening, but only on HIS terms. In other words, drop everything you had planned because all the times we suggested didn't work for him, so with only a few hours notice, it was the time he chose or not at all. And then he was 50 minutes late. (I was already having an emotionally stressful weekend, thanks.) Good thing we met her, I guess, since 16 hours later he was calling my mom from Vegas to ask her for information he needed to fill out the marriage license. (He didn't know where EITHER of my parents were born...I thought that was a little humorous.) My parents were amused, and not really surprised. They called and told me yesterday only because they wanted to know how far the drive to Vegas was.

My mom called today and asked if we had heard from him. Um, no, he is probably having a little honeymoon...somewhere. Considering he didn't wait until Wednesday, I have no idea where he is. I don't think they had much more of a plan than 'Let's go to Vegas...now.' Also, considering that he didn't even bother to tell my sister and I that he was ENGAGED in the first place, I'm not expecting to hear from him for a while. Before you start worrying about the girl, getting married ASAP was her idea, preferably without any family involvement - together they turned the eloping idea into this idealized romantic notion, pitting themselves against family and the rest of the world. They are so in love, and nobody can understand, so we as family members are all 'the enemy.' Saturday we tried to show them support and diffuse this 'us against the family' sentiment, at least from our side of the family. I thought things had gone well, but whatever.

The strangest part is that they think this marriage is no big thing, since the REAL wedding will be in a year if and when they are sealed. "It's just a civil ceremony." They are "only getting married in the eyes of the law." But, it IS a marriage. I was reminded of what Ddonn's stepfather once said about reasons to get married...much more applicable in this situation than for Ddonn's wedding. She knows what I mean, and that will have to suffice.

6 comments:

Valinda said...

Hmm reminds me of someone else's sibling that refused to call it a wedding, it was her "thing". She did however go with the whole party after their friend said they were *married*. I'm becoming more and more grateful that she did that for us. :)

Beki said...

First the comment I intended for Zanne: At least somebody met her! Though the idea that they got married when they say it doesn't really count.... yeah, I'm with you on that one.

Then the follow-up after reading V's: Yes, there was a big party with a year of planning and lots of meeting people. The issue was the ideas that people give to the word, not the whole process. :)

R. Bohn said...

O.O You're serious?! Wow! Wait, which brother is this?

Rena said...

What the heck!? Random!

Karen Valinda said...

Yeah, which brother? I'm guessing the older one but they are both old enough to be making dim choices.
Watched "Fireproof" with LeAnna last night so the whole "doesn't really count" idea is even more SAD.
xoxoxox

Zanne said...

GLump is my younger brother (20 years old). The older, taller one still hasn't had a lot of dating experience.