Monday began with TQ day - Teachers work on end of term grades and go to meetings, kids have no school. Our department meeting went like this: "Well, there are 7 of us, next year we can only have 6." Hmmm, guess who is the only teacher in the department not tenured?
With the bad economy, schools are receiving less money from state and federal funds - some of which is usually generated with investments - and we all know what has been happening in the stock market. Our district is in better shape than most in the area - we started out in the black before the cuts. But my school has to cut 12 teachers. I know that at least 2 of us who were given new positions this year have received "the letter." This is the letter where they legally must inform you that they may not renew your contract for next year.
The week before, word in the department was that everyone was safe. Then the admin decided they would terminate the PAUS program unless they could get enough students to sign letters of intent for next year. With that program now exed - the affected teacher in our department now needs to fill the rest of his schedule with regular class sections - sections that would normally go to teacher #7. (They are also increasing class sizes again, 42-43.)
The school is facing a problem - the IB History curriculum is changing next year - and with money problems the school can't afford to send another teacher to IB training (over $1000). In the training I received last October I was given the new materials. This is the reason why the principal really wants to keep me. But so far, none of the other teachers has decided to leave or transfer. There's me - bottom of the totem pole in seniority.
The good news - if another position in the district were to open up, I can transfer with my admin's recommendation. The bad part of that is - I might be back to teaching ESL, might be teaching at a middle school (shudder), and I would NOT be teaching IB. (Best case scenario - I would be teaching at the rival school, and my 10 'bulldog' siblings-in-law might want to disown me). Plus, adjusting to a new school on top of everything else that is happening next year - I don't know if that is wise.
One of the other History teachers spoke to me when he saw that I was waiting for the principal - when I got the summons on Wednesday - I know what it meant. His comments were SO not helpful. "Well, you'll probably like your new school. You have less attachments here than the rest of us. You've been here, what, about two years?" "Five. This is my 5th year." "Huh. But you worked in ESL before. (so that doesn't count?) Well, I was at another school for 5 years before I came here. Sometimes I think about that school, but I like it here." (Yeah, me too...which is why I worked for less pay than what I was qualified for the last FOUR years to get this job. I decided to stay the last two years because I learned that the IB program was coming to my school - and I wanted the chance to be a part of it.)
So, who knows what is ahead for us. It's one of those times when you have to put things in the Lord's hands because it is all uncertain. At least, I had the chance to live my dream this year - teaching my favorite IB History class to a great group of kids. I hear my old ESL job will be available next year - but at reduced hours - better than being unemployed, right? We'll see what happens.
6 years ago
2 comments:
wow, I guess all you can do is hope and pray and wait, right? I do hope it turns out well for you! Hugs from Nebraska!
I wish I could say come here but that wouldn't solve anything.
Post a Comment