Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Some Recent Quotes from the Classroom

Told to me by one of the ESL Aides about a student's loud outburst during Algebra class:
"I feel about his class like Mufasa feels about the hyenas."

While telling a story to my students, I mentioned I had been married six years.
"She's married?" - student #1 to her friend
"How many kids do you have?" - student #2
"None."
"Don't you think you should start working on that?" - student #2
(awkward silence as the rest of the class stares at him - and I keep the retort "Well maybe I should go home right now and work on it" to myself.)
"Teacher, how old are you?" - student #3
"That's not really an appropriate question. But it is my birthday this month."
"Are you 26?" - student #3
"Older."
"Let's see. Most people get married when they are about 24. If you have been married 6 years, then you are 30. Am I right?" - student #4

Today in class: (much nicer version - between myself and a small group of students working on the assignment - totally out of the blue)
"Teacher, do you have any kids?" - female student #1
"Nope."
"Do you want any?" - female student #1
"Oh yeah. I want kids."
"Me too. I want twins - one boy and one girl." - female student #1
"I want at least four kids." - female student #2

Maybe it's the promise of Spring coming. Who knows. Like the worst answer given at the Daffodil Princess pageant to the impromtu question "What does Spring mean to you?" - "I mean, look at all the animals. You know. It's in the air. "

3 comments:

periwinkle4 said...

LOL about Mufasa and the hyenas! What interesting conversations you have. ah, spring.

Beki said...

Hey Zanne, just wanted to let you know that I come to you for reminders of why getting a higher degree will be sooo worth it. I don't think I could handle high schoolers.

Maria Draper said...

I dont miss teaching at all. And I so much thank you for blogging to remind me of that. :)
By the way I will be in Provo to BYU's graduation this year let me know if we can get together.