Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Car is Fixed!

The old Honda is Werty's car since we bought the van last year. Old Honda's are great for tinkering, and Werty wants to learn more about fixing cars. So, he decided to tackle the wheel bearing repair himself. The wheel has made some noise since we bought the car from Soyjoy a few years back. It has been getting more warped and noisy over time. He originally thought he could finish it over Thanksgiving weekend. But, car repair is something new, and it always takes longer than you think it will when you are learning how to do something for the first time. The Honda has been up on blocks for 3-4 weeks, and he has been using my van to get to work. Good thing I had most of the Christmas shopping done, since I was without a car. (Everything is getting to the post office later than I wanted because of this...Jack-Jack's present still isn't mailed. :(  )

But on Saturday he finished it at last. He replaced the wheel bearing, the hub, the lower ball joint...um, if I forgot something else, he can let me know later...and now I have some idea of what those things actually are. He got to buy at least 3 new tools in the process, which always makes my honey happy. He did have to take a part down to a shop that was stuck to have them press it out, so that took up some of the money he was "saving" by doing it himself, but there is value in what he learned from this experience, right? With one week left before Christmas, I have a car again. So far, I have been to C0stc0 and T@rget...and mostly made up for those weeks I had no car to go shopping. Hee hee.

No comments: