Saturday, September 22, 2012

Everyone should watch this...American Teacher

Werty has been tossing around some ideas for a documentary on teachers and teaching in Utah, dispelling some of the popular myths about teaching. The realities of how long a teacher's day really is and how little respect and compensation they receive in return. Time after time I have heard from students that teaching would be their last choice for a profession because they make too little money and have to deal with too much crap. Sometimes it's hard to convince a kid to stay in school and improve their literacy beyond an 8th grade reading level when they get a job selling something and are making twice as much money as their teacher...well, someone else has made an excellent documentary addressing many of the same issues that Werty has been thinking about. It's worth watching. It's called American Teacher and you can find it on netflix. You can find the American Teacher website here for more information. I particularly could relate to the teacher who had her first baby and the stress of trying to pump at school. There were many times when someone needed to talk to me and discuss ESL stuff during my prep, leaving only the passing time between classes for me to pump and Gloria had to watch my class for a few minuted until I could finish and get back."Where's the teacher?" "She'll be back in a few minutes." "Why, where'd she go?" "She had to take care of something really quick, that's all." And I would be hearing this through the wall, thinking, you don't really need to know what I am doing...because you are a teenage boy who would be really embarrassed. Anyway, watch the video.