Friday, February 4, 2011

Light at the end of the House Tunnel

We got the final papers we needed back yesterday afternoon. It's not a law office. It's a collection agency, and every time the paperwork crosses their desk, they up the price, including this time, which was a renegotiation to lower the price. They were offered slightly more, but they still upped it. This seems to part of their tactics - stall so that they can increase their piece of the pie. I am sure there is a statistic they use to back up their method - if a buyer has held on this long, they will probably be emotionally attached and will pay the higher price. Or, the agents will be willing to eat the cost, otherwise they don't make the sale and get nothing. Part of me is tempted to walk away just to skew the statistic. I hate being reduced to a statistic. And I hate the underhandedness of it all. As far as I know, the first bank or the agents have to cover the increase. (I hope it's the bank, not the agents - the agents already have to pay for the new water heater that the seller refuses to pay for - did I mention that our agent is AWESOME?). Our final price should still be the same. Today I am signing up for insurance, and hopefully, we will close on Monday. We are going to actually own a house! Meanwhile, I had to fill out my letter of intent to continue my job next year. That was sobering. I have a house, time to work to pay for it...The district just announced that they are shaking things up and moving around the administrators between our school and the other two high schools. Let's hope the new administrator doesn't trash all the programs I teach now that I am so specialized. :P

3 comments:

Valinda said...

You know me I would totally walk away just to spite them! I hope it continues going well. We'd love to come see you new house this summer!

Julie C said...

Oh, I understand the desire to walk away! I'm glad you have a good agent on your side, and I'm sorry if they end up taking the hit for that stinky agency. Too bad a collection agency isn't a service that you can rate online or something. That's my favorite passive agressive way to get back at businesses when I feel they treat me poorly.

Maria Draper said...

Getting a house was the most stressful time of our life. Too bad we sold it, it was not as hard.:) But the thought of getting another someday is sobering. Good luck and I hope things will all work out for you.