Friday, January 22, 2010

First Week of 2nd Semester

Good thing it was only a 4 day week! I am exhausted! For the first time, I think my 8th period will be better than my 7th period. 8th period is half SpEd and half regular ed, and so far everyday one student has given me attitude. They are welcome to sign up for another class... Anyway, I have a few returning students who didn't pass my class last year. Kind of strange, but it's nice because I already know their names.

We had a new infusion of exchange students, and the beginning ESL class has grown to fill all the desks. We give them a test/evaluation and they all scored really low - as in they can't speak any English - but most of them are demanding to be moved up to a higher class. I gave one permission today, with the condition that I am moving him back if he can't cut it. What's the problem with that you ask? If they all moved up to the Advanced class, they would increase that class by 50%, meaning that 1/3 of the class would be falling behind. In a a class that struggles and is lower than any other Advanced class I have taught, having 1/3 of the class dragging down the pace of the class is a disservice for the other students who earned there spot in the class by learning English for the last 2-4 years. We received a letter from one of the host parents requesting the change to a higher class. The poor girl couldn't put two English words together - there's no way we are having her move up to writing persuasive essays! So, I might have upset host parents dropping by next week to see me...fun, huh?

No comments: