Monday, July 20, 2009

BBQ at the Pool

Last Thursday we had Sue and her family over to our place for a poolside BBQ. Sue said that her kids were asking all day if it was time yet to go swimming at Aunt Zanne's. :D Werty was exhausted from the construction EQ service project and staying up late to watch HP, so he didn't join us for the swimming. Sue's kids really like to get wet, and they came prepared with floating devices, so they could move about the pool with their parents. I even donned a swimsuit and coverup and got in the water. (Isn't it nice how you feel lighter in water...especially when you are 8 months pregnant heavy?) Werty grilled up the steaks and hot dogs, and joined us for dinner. We had a blast, and since it was a Thursday evening, the pool area wasn't crowded at all. It was so fun that it got Werty thinking that maybe he should try to have his family over for a BBQ some time. We usually go to Ged and Klari's house for family BBQ's, but Ged is out of town this week for a work convention, and it's Pioneer Day on Friday. We will have to see if someone else has already made reservations for that day. Werty's family is pretty big, after all, and there are rules about number of guests and such.

Update on baby: Last week's NST showed that my fluid level was up, which isn't good. It's still in the normal range, but now it's on the high side of normal. I go in again this Wednesday. It is possible for the fluid level to go up and down, so it doesn't mean that it will continue to climb necessarily. /em crosses her fingers. (Nan: since you asked, they have me going every week for NST to make sure 1. the baby has enough oxygen and 2. to measure my fluid level since too much or too little can be a problem with gd. Sue was telling me that she had extra fluid with her second child, and the rush of fluid actually caused the baby's head to move out of position. Thankfully, the doctor was able to locate the head again and the baby was still delivered normally.)

At my regular doctor visit on Friday, everything is still fine. We talked about hospitals and I found out that I will be delivering at the big hospital that I didn't want to go to. When we started trying, I had another insurance plan that covered certain hospitals. The insurance I have now, through my job, covers the other hospitals. I forgot that my doctor only delivers at two hospitals, one from each network. So, unless I want to have a different doctor, I have only one choice under my insurance. And I really like my doctor. My doctor got really defensive about the big hospital, about how the community doesn't give that hospital the respect it deserves, and how she had all her children at that hospital because it is the best. It got tense. Really tense. I told her about the car accident and how I had had my own negative experience at that hospital - how they sent me home and kept all the other injured passengers overnight because I "was so calm" that I didn't appear as seriously injured - and how the insurance used that against me so that they wouldn't cover as much care as I actually needed. I couldn't move my arms or get myself out of bed for 2-3 weeks, but hey, I was "calm" about it. 10 years later and I believe that I am the only person from the accident that still has chronic pain from it. But, that doesn't mean the whole place is terrible. Here are some pros: I have been going there for my NST and the staff have been very nice. And there is the fact that my child's birth certificate will say Provo instead of Orem on it. (Ddonn will appreciate the importance of that). This hospital is only a 5 minute drive away instead of 20. Since I go in for NST, and labor and delivery is the same floor, I already know where to go and they already have my information in their system. (I finally got them to change my marital status from single to married when I went in for my NST - they had my info originally from the car accident). I get to have my doctor there. So, those family members who live here in town and might want to drop by to see the little guy, you now know where we will be.

3 comments:

Sandra Huntsman said...

Wow! You've been busy, how is his room coming? I hope everything goes well. We'll keep our fingers crossed and remember you all in our prayers.

Sandra Huntsman said...

oops that was Valinda

Karen Valinda said...

I guess that makes sense, even with the gd it seemed a bit early to start the non stress test.
-nan (using my mom's computer)