Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Crossed Fingers

Our wonderful and diligent real estate agent, Peter, has been bugging the selling agent every few hours to make sure that we get the last piece of paperwork by today. He is confident that we will be able to close either this week or Monday at the latest. How exciting! A big thank you to Peter for being such a great advocate and relentlessly fighting for our side to get this house. Btw, we HIGHLY recommend him!

Monday, January 31, 2011

Argh! Delays!

Still waiting on the second mortgage to sign off on the new price. Hey, look, you get a little more money than the last deal. It's a no brainer - sign it! But now we know that the second bank, rather than taking care of this themselves, turned this loan over to a law office. We assume this means they sold the bad credit to whatever or whoever is represented by the law office now handling the transaction. Which means we haven't set a closing date yet because it's sitting on somebody's desk in a pile. The previous delays were from this same law office not getting around to it until the deadlines passed, meaning that all the paperwork had to be redone and resubmitted. We lose our 60 day locked in rate on the 11th. Let's hope things fall in to place and we close by then.

Meanwhile, lots of drama at work among students. The freeze and thaw pattern of January seems to make students moody. Maybe it's the darker/shorter days. Whatever it is, it's a good thing that February is almost here.

BooBear is 17 months old today. Yay :D

Monday, January 24, 2011

Fun with Rings

Enjoy this video of BooBear amusing himself.

Approved!


After getting back the second appraisal, the third party bank approved our renegotiated price. Hooray! $4,000 knocked off the price, and we can get our loan! The bank is pushing to hurry up the process now. Isn't it funny how they string us along and then tell us to hurry it up already? Anyway, we should close by the end of next week. Two weeks from now, we should be home owners. I am SOO excited! Then we can start doing renovations. :P

Friday, January 21, 2011

House Deadline....and extension

Today was supposed to be the deadline for the bank to consider our renegotiated price. They are going to order another appraisal, get a second opinion in other words, and get back to us next week. We should know by Thursday. The big house with the small yard seems to have sold. Good thing we have our heart set on this house instead of that one, huh?

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Grades Due!

All of my grades have to be done and verified tomorrow by 3pm. Augh! I just finished the IB AQWF essays. (Yeah, in my mind they were from last term, and I had already graded them until one of my students started asking about them last week - crud! I haven't graded those from way back when...and I had flashbacks of my student teaching days when it took me a whole month to finally get around to reading and correcting all 60 something research papers for Honors US History.) I need to give them more document tests and OPVL practice. Which means more correcting for me, but better they be prepared for their exams, right? I hate when I get behind on grading, only to discover student "X" never turned in essay "Y" and therefore is failing and I didn't know it. Ugh! Meanwhile, I have had some kind of stomach flu since Tuesday morning. One of my co-workers came down with it this morning - so that confirmed that it was a flu and not something I ate. Today I didn't eat anything, and I felt so much better. And those who know me know how cranky I get when I don't eat - so I must be sick. So far Werty and BooBear haven't caught it, and I am really worried about BooBear catching it. He just got his appetite back from his flu/cold.

Nothing to report on the quest to buy the house. Our Bishop called to see when we were moving (and when he needs to find a replacement for Werty's calling), and we had to tell him that we didn't know, but we would be here through February at least.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

House Update


BooBear helping mommy make carrot cake for daddy's birthday. His first cooking experience. It was nice playing homemaker mommy for the week and a half of Christmas break.

Since my last post...busy busy busy...the whole house thing is emotionally exhausting...plus BooBear has been sick for the last month. He starts to feel better, and boom, he's sick with something new. This last bout Werty and I caught too.

We thought we were going to close this week. Then we got the appraisal back. In the 4 months of delays from the seller and 3rd party banks, the market has declined. Four months ago the agreed price was fair, but on the high end of fair. Now, it's too high. The appraisal came in lower than the asking price. That would leave us with having to come up with more cash up front, and the knowledge that we are losing instead of gaining equity right off the bat.

Since the buyer refused to replace the water heater or furnace (They did have the furnace serviced, so it is working again - did I mention that it's from 1957?), on top of all the appliances we have to buy (because it has none), paying more up front just isn't something we can swing. So, instead of closing this week, we are sending the price back to the seller and their banks for renegotiation. Did I mention that the inspector ruled it a starter fixer-upper because while it is structurally well built, there are so many little things that have to be fixed to be safe. I want this house. We REALLY want this house. But, we have to be prepared to walk away. If they aren't willing to budge, then it might go to foreclosure, and then we start the process all over again.