Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Last Week

Some of my students are shocked when I remind them that this is my last full week. They are so preoccupied with Spring Break coming next week, they forget that I said I wouldn't be back after the break. True, I will be back in the morning the following week, but I won't be teaching my afternoon classes. There is still so much to get done this week.

IB predicted grades and Historical Investigation papers are due. I finished the first read and scoring today. Some of them are losing a lot of points due to technical mistakes - it makes me want to scream, "Follow the directions, people!" A lot of my students are engineer hopefuls, and some of them just don't seem to take their History IB requirements as seriously as they should. Two students don't seem to understand the point of citations. Maybe it will take a college professor flunking them for possible plagiarism due to a lack of referencing to get their attention, because their English teacher and I don't seem to be getting through.

The memory card on our camera is full, so I should be posting real pics soon. I really should clear them all off so the memory card and camera are ready for taking to the hospital when the time comes. I always think of Nan and her complaint at the lack of hospital pictures - I wouldn't want any of my children trying to convince their sister she was adopted because there are no pictures to prove otherwise. (ahem) Because that would be mean.

3 comments:

Valinda said...

Less than a month!!! We're so excited and her dress is on the way to being done.

I would have to agree trying to convince a younger sibling they're adopted is just mean. That's why I won't let my kids do it to Jack-Jack. They've talked about trying. Heck, I even have video of Jack-Jack coming out. That's a first for my kids.

Heidi said...

The semester I returned to school full-time was one of the toughest semesters I've ever had. I had a history professor who said, on the first day of class, that if we messed up on a citation (wrong format, misspelling, not citing at all) we would fail the assignment, and if we failed an assignment, we would fail the class. That put the fear of God into us right quick. I aced the class. We need more teachers and professors like that!

Good luck on your last week. I think about you guys a lot and I'm glad things are going well. :)

Karen Valinda said...

And yet Valinda would be one of the two siblings that convinced her sister she was adopted due to a lack of pictures to prove otherwise. Nan was born in a clinic, NO hospital! We arrived at 10 pm, left 8 hours later with our 4 hour old baby. We were too poor to buy film and get it developed when baby #3 came along. Since both V and Le look like their dad's side of the family the one up for adoption would have to be Buh!!!
I love you Zanne xoxoxox