Last Friday we had one of the craziest, most successful events I have ever seen at work. Food drives aren't usually "crazy," but this one culminated in teachers hula hooping, break dancing, lip-synching, celebrity impersonations, eating sardines, sumo wrestling in sumo suits, wading in rotten food (poor Dee, she has a thick mane of naturally curly hair, and they poured rotten nastiness on her head for about 3 mins straight), male teachers and administrators dancing in tutus, male coaches cross-dressing as belly dancers in imitation of one of our female asst principals to the tune "Dude looks like a lady," and the final event of one popular math teacher having his beard shaved by the student body president. During the shaving, students poured out of the bleachers to see up close - especially the 7th and 8th graders. I couldn't believe my little GT kids were instigating mayhem! Once the students were back in their seats, they finished the shaving. The assembly ran so long that 6th period was cancelled. The goal was 10,000 cans. Our school collected 14,000 cans - 6 tons of food for the local food bank. Here's a picture on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Provo-High-School-100K-for-100-Years/199825953402878
I heard one story of a student whose family is on church assistance, so didn't have any cans at home she could donate. She went canvassing around her neighborhood instead. The winning teacher had about 2k cans. I told my kids this year I was tired of being the only teacher with zero cans, and this year I turned in 74, half of which were from my ESL kids. Maybe we are a financially disadvantaged school. But our kids proved they could do great things.
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment